Friday, March 31, 2006

mary heart in a martha world

how many of us have read the story of mary and martha when jesus visited their house? it's classic! martha wanted to house to be perfect! she was so involved in her preperations! they were so important! no wonder she was upset with mary (her sister) when all she was doing was sitting on the floor, probably that martha was trying to clean. what martha didn't get was that the preparations she was making didn't really matter in the end: jesus was in HER house! all she needed to do was sit and his feet and listen....mary got it.

everytime i have read that story it comes makes me think of other people. certain people, sometimes, who are in my life. but i need to think of this for myself. how much time do i waste by making preparations, for anything, when all i need to be doing is sitting at the feet of jesus? at the end of the day, my preparations make no difference -- what matters is how much time i spend at his feet. and until i get myself there, my "preparations" will just fog my world.

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:41-42

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Nice thoughts. We all need to be reminded of that every once in a while.

ps. I'm OK. These fat burners I'm taking had more caffeine in them than I realized, and when I upped my dosage (as per the instructions) it caused something like a coronary spasm. And since I'd left my insurance card at home (I'm staying with Kelly), I couldn't go to the doctor; I just had to lie there and try to breathe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill - Love ya!